Click here for the School Calendar
Year 5 – Summer Term 2012
Summer Term 2012
Year 5 – Mr May
Topics this term
- The Olympics
- Novels and stories by significant children’s authors
- Choral and Performance Poetry
- Older Literature
- Persuasive Writing
- Film Narrative
- · Decimals (Place Value)
- · Problems involving money
- · Division/Multiplication Facts
- · Division/Multiplication Methods
- · Division and Remainders
- · Translation of Shapes
- · Capacity
- · Mean, Median and Mode of Data
- · Data Handling – Line Graphs, Bar Charts and Pie Charts
- · Probability
- · 1 and 2 step problems
- · Calculator Skills
- · Angles
- · Co-ordinates
- · Time and Timetables
- · Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
- · Proportion
- · Money
- · Problem Solving, Sequences and Patterns
How you can help at home
Always support and encourage your child.
Please try to listen to your child read and check they understand what they are reading.
Discuss book choices and their opinions. Each child has a reading log in which to record their impressions. Library is on a Tuesday. Please encourage your child to use the Library. This can be accessed from home.
Help your child to use reference material and the Internet.
Encourage your child to learn and persevere with spellings and times tables.
Ensure homework is completed on time.
Maths Homework – Given Thursday, due in Tuesday (30 minute task)
English Homework – Given Thursday, due in Tuesday (30 minute task)
Spellings – Given Tuesday, tested following Tuesday
Every child has a homework diary. Any homework other than English, Maths and Spellings should be recorded in the diary. The date the homework is due in will be recorded in the book and displayed in the classroom.
Please make sure your child takes responsibility for bringing to school all they need each day so they are prepared for every lesson. They will need a handwriting pen, pencil, ruler, rubber and whiteboard pen in a suitable pencil case. Pencil crayons or pens, glue sticks etc… are optional, but advisable.
PE / Games
Cricket/Rounders - Monday afternoon – Final Session
Athletics – Friday morning – First Session
P.E Kit – T-Shirt (House colour) and shorts for indoors; trainers, spare socks, a sweatshirt and tracksuit trousers for outdoor PE (a plastic bag for muddy trainers). Please ensure that no jewellery is worn and long hair is tied back.
Summer Term Dates
- · Monday 16th April 2012 – Summer Term 1 Starts
- · 16th – 20th April 2012 – Science Week
- · Friday 4th May 2012 – Paralympic Torch Visit
- · 28th May– 1st June 2012 – Assessment Week
- · Friday 1st June 2012 – Break up for Half Term
- · Monday 9th July 2012 – Olympic Torch route passes SMCS
- · Thursday 5th July 2012 – Key Stage 2 Sports Day
- · Wednesday 11th July 2012 – Key Stage 2 Reserve Sports Day (If 5/7/12 is wet!)
- · Monday 11th June 2012 – Summer Term 2 Starts
- · 27th – 29th June 2012 – Year 5 Residential Trip to Longridge
- · Wednesday 18th July 2012 – Year 5 Performance to Parents
- Friday 20th July – Break up for Summer
Please note, you will be notified of any additional dates as and when events are planned. Dates are clearly written in the school newsletter.
Children should bring a piece of fruit or vegetables to eat at morning break.
Please ensure all clothing and equipment brought to school is clearly named.
Here’s to a very successful and enjoyable term!